If you are thinking about renovating your home, your kitchen or your bathroom and want to see perfect results you can be proud of, it is always better to hire a professional tiler rather than trust DIY skills.
What do tilers do?
Tilers can perform a range of tasks including:
- Preparation of surfaces
- Cutting and laying of tiles (wall and floor)
- Applying grout
- Tile resurfacing
- Tile removal
- Applying waterproofing where necessary
How much do tiles cost?
The cost of your tiles is a major factor to consider for any renovation project. Tiles come at a range of price points. For wall tiles, expect to pay in the region of:
- $20 to $28 per square meter for standard white ceramic wall tiles (600mm x 300mm)
- $68 per square metre for steel grey polished porcelain wall tiles (150mm x 600mm)
- $86 per square metre for handmade Spanish white gloss ceramic subway tiles (150mm x 75mm)
- $159 per square metre for artisan manufactured ceramic wall tiles (200mm x 200mm)
For floor tiles, expect to pay:
- $35 to $50 per square meter for ceramic or porcelain tiles
- $50 to $100 per square meter for high quality porcelain
- $80 to $130 per square meter for high quality natural stone tiles
For mosaic tiles, priced per sheet, expect to pay:
- $33 for one pebble effect mosaic sheet (300mm x 300mm)
- $47 for one interlocking mosaic sheet (300mm x 290mm)
Contact your tiler first to see whether they can organise the purchase of your tiles and can recommend certain sizes and quantities for your project.
Get tile design ideas and inspiration
If you’re choosing tiles, a great place to start is on Pinterest or Houzz. The best way of finding out the cost of your tiling job is to get quotes from local tilers. This will give you a sense of what market rates currently are.